Trip By: Action International Ministries
Location: Brazil, South America
When: Customizable: Jan-Dec 2019
Join us in creating a self-supporting mission outreach base keeping rural kids off the street by sharing the love of Christ with them!
Brazil: -MISSIONS INTERNSHIP or SHORT-TERM TEAM OUTREACH
Camaqua, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Q & A with ACTION missionaries Marco & Claudia van de Merwe
1. What are some ministry tasks that you want the intern to accomplish while serving with you?
We have a plethora of opportunities for interns to come and serve with us! The primary ministry we’d love to have interns help us with is our daily ministry that benefits dozens of children from the poor, rural farming community who come to our campus for homework help, learning Bible stories, music, life skills and playing games. Interns could have a meaningful impact in these kids’ lives teaching English, teaching musical instruments, participating in the kids club, leading sports ministry and camping trips with the kids. Aside from working with kids, development of sustainable agricultural projects and training as income generating opportunities as well as helping with weekend events (weddings, church retreats and conferences) are additional ways that interns could serve us here!
2. What are some key lessons from your ministry and walk with the Lord that you want to impart to the interns to help them as they consider their own individual call to missions or vocational ministry?
• Studying the Bible and practical application in everyday life and ministry
• Faithfulness in ministry rather than event orientation – speaking the truth in love day by day rather than depending on immediate results
• Harmonious living with cross-cultural missionary personnel: living and serving with missionaries from various countries
• Cultural adaptation and child evangelism and discipleship
• Prayer and trusting God for financial support
3. What criteria do you use to measure the effectiveness of an intern serving with you?
• Positive, healthy relationships with the children and with the team
• Long-term involvement with missions as prayer support, giving or return visits
• An attitude of service toward the local leadership
4. Please list specific skills an intern may expect to develop by the time the internship is completed.
• How to develop and strengthen cross-cultural friendships
• Child education and discipline lessons
• Basic Portuguese language skills and the ability to communicate with Brazilians who know limited English
• Brazilian cultural awareness
• Sense of humor
• Growing in their faith
For more information including pricing visit: actiontrips.org • actioninternational.org/missionaries/van-de-merwe