A tradition, since 1906…
The Mountaineers was conceived in 1906 by Seattle area climbers, some who had belonged to other outdoor organizations such as The Mazamas in Oregon and the Sierra Club in California. A constitution was adopted by the club in 1907 with 151 charter members. Such Northwest icons as Henry Landes (then dean of geology at the University of Washington who introduced Edmond S. Meany of UW fame to the club) and Asahel Curtis (famed photographer) were among these members.
The first trip consisted of a walk by 48 members and guests to the West Point Lighthouse via Fort Lawton in Seattle. Later, the first mountain trip occurred, a climb of Mt. Si. As the club evolved, more difficult climbs ensued and first ascents such as Mt. Shuksan were achieved.
Large group outings, such as the 1907 climb of Mt. Olympus by 65 members, ensued shortly after the founding of the club. From these outings, an integral sense of camaraderie evolved which spawned a hallmark of the club’s identity not to mention interest in other outdoor activities such as an outings committee and the Players, who annually perform plays in The Mountaineers Forest Theatre. Today, the club offers about two dozen different activities — ranging from sea kayaking to bicycling to skiing to folkdancing — for members to enjoy.
In 1909, the first branch of The Mountaineers, that of Everett, was formed. Tacoma followed in 1912. Later came Olympia, Bellingham and Wenatchee. Most recently, two new branches have been established in Kitsap and the Snoqualmie Foothills. In 2000, the central membership was officially declared the Seattle Branch. The administration headquarters for the entire club resides in Seattle.
For a complete history of The Mountaineers,
Address: 300 Third Ave West
Seattle, WA 98119