Since 1975, the Maymont estate has been maintained and operated by the Maymont Foundation. Maymont was the 100-acre Victorian country estate of Major James H. and Sallie May Dooley. The Dooleys completed their opulent mansion in 1893, and spent the next three decades filling its sumptuous interiors with treasures from around the world and establishing Maymont’s magnificent gardens, landscapes and architectural complex. Upon Mrs. Dooley’s death in 1925, Maymont was bequeathed to the City of Richmond. Attractions for visitors added over the years include the Nature Center, Native Virginia Wildlife Exhibits, and the Children’s Farm and Carriage Collection.
Address: 1700 Hampton Street
Richmond, VA 23220