Haiti (MNN) — What do you expect to hear from an organization that’s just four years old? Do you expect to hear that communities are being completely transformed? Would you expect such an organization to make major changes in education, physical and spiritual health?
That’s exactly what’s happening at StarFysh, an organization that exists to demonstrate Christian love and compassion through alleviating physical suffering and addressing social injustice on the island of La Gonave, Haiti.
How? Starfysh is bringing people together to use their skills, energies, and resources to show compassion to those in need. Starfysh is dedicated to “staying the course” and seeing compassion result in physical and spiritual transformation.
As 2014 unfolds, the ministry hopes to:
- Open and build more schools.
- See entire villages have 100% latrine use, a statistic virtually unheard of in Haiti.
- See entire villages equipped with clean water.
- Complete their medical/dental unit and continue sending doctors and dentists to the most remote parts of the island.
- Create a multi-site agriculture research and teaching farm.
- Help budding entrepreneurs grow their businesses.
- Write and publish Creole children’s books.
- Establish a permanent base-of-operations up in the geographic center of the island.
These goals might seem ambitious, but Starfysh says hundreds of people are investing in the vision. The story that’s yet to unfold is one of transformation. Although donations, volunteer efforts, and new programs are tools God uses to accomplish spiritual change, true transformation will only take place with time and prayer.
Pray that God’s power and Truth will be made evident through Starfysh on the island of La Gonave.